Langston Hughes Musical-
Thank you for your interest in the musical production. Please note the dates and requirements to participate in the school play. You must attend all performances to participate in the play.
The play requires a lot of time and commitment. Be sure you are able to commit to this project before you audition OR sign up for a crew.
The show is cast by audition. We are sorry but not everyone who auditions will be given a part. You will be asked to prepare and perform a monologue, sing a song, and dance for the audition.
Three courses are available to Hughes students to explore theatre arts.
- 7th Grade Speech and Drama - open to any 7th grade student who wants to improve their stage skills.
- 8th Grade Theatre Arts Appreciation - open to 8th grade students new or returning to the theater arts class.
- 8th Grade Advanced Theatre Arts - (Year Long) open to students who have taken an introductory theater class or by teacher recommendation. This course is designed for the student who is comfortable performing on stage and is ready to explore more advanced skills. Students will perform in front of invited audiences.
After School Opportunities
- Theatre Sports - This club explores improvisational games. We meet after school on Tuesdays in the Lecture Hall. Some students may be selected to compete at county-wide competitions held at various FCPS middle schools.
- School Play - All Hughes students are welcome to audition for the annual school production. We hold an interest meeting in December and auditions are held immediately after the Winter Break. Show dates are usually in April. We also invite students to serve on a crew for the play. All rehearsals are held after school. This production requires a major time commitment.
- Theatre Expo Workshop - An annual county-wide theatre workshop held at Twain Middle School. Students select four workshops to participate in ranging from make-up to stage combat taught by area theatre professionals. This year it will be held on Saturday, October 28, from 9:00 AM to 2:00 PM. Cost is $15. See Mrs. Dewenter for registration materials.