The school musical this year is Sound of Music, G2K edition.
The interest meeting will be held Thursday, September 20, from 2:30-3:30 PM in the Lecture Hall. All students are welcome to attend to learn more about being in the cast or crew of the musical.
Auditions will be held Jan. 23 and 24.
Performances are May 1-4, 2019.
Langston Hughes Musical-The Sound of Music,G2K
Thank you for your interest in the musical production. Please note the dates and requirements to participate in the school play. You must attend all performances to participate in the play.
The play requires a lot of time and commitment. Be sure you are able to commit to this project before you audition OR sign up for a crew.
The show is cast by audition. We are sorry but not everyone who auditions will be given a part. You will be asked to prepare and perform a monologue, sing a song, and dance for the audition.
There will be an AUDITION WORKSHOP on January 9 after school in the lecture hall to give you the materials and forms you need to audition. You will also be taught the song and the dance. You must attend this workshop in order to audition. If you have a conflict, see Mrs. Dewenter in advance.
You will need to sign up for an audition time and come on your assigned day to present your song, monologue, and dance. (Google Classroom will be used for the production materials. Code is qs2ksk)
You might be called back for a second audition and be asked to sing another song and read scenes from the script with other students.
The cast list will then be posted on the Drama Bulletin Board in Fine Arts Hall and online.
Auditions will be held January 23, 24, and 28. Callbacks will be held January 30 and 31 after school in the lecture hall.
We begin rehearsals February 6. We rehearse on all late bus days: Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays. Not everyone will be needed every day. You will be given a rehearsal calendar which will say who is rehearsing each day. YOU MUST ATTEND REHEARSALS FOR SCENES YOU ARE IN. There is one Saturday rehearsal on April 27.
PERFORMANCES-We will perform the play May 1-4. Shows are at 7:00PM with a 2:00PM show on Saturday, May 4.
Students may also choose to serve on a crew. Students may request their preferences, but all crews need to be staffed. You may not get your first choice. Crew will meet as needed and be given a calendar of dates you are required to report. The crews include: PAINT, PROPS, RUNNING, COSTUMES, LIGHTING, SOUND, MAKE-UP, and PROMOTIONS. Crew must attend all performances (with the exception of PAINT CREW). Those interested in being on a crew should plan to attend the Workshop on Jan. 9 in the lecture hall after school to receive forms and information.
Three courses are available to Hughes students to explore theatre arts.
- 7th Grade Speech and Drama - open to any 7th grade student who wants to improve their stage skills.
- 8th Grade Theatre Arts Appreciation - open to 8th grade students new or returning to the theater arts class.
- 8th Grade Advanced Theatre Arts - (Year Long) open to students who have taken an introductory theater class or by teacher recommendation. This course is designed for the student who is comfortable performing on stage and is ready to explore more advanced skills. Students will perform in front of invited audiences.
After School Opportunities
- Theatre Sports - This club explores improvisational games. We meet after school on Tuesdays in the Lecture Hall. Some students may be selected to compete at county-wide competitions held at various FCPS middle schools.
- School Play - All Hughes students are welcome to audition for the annual school production. We hold an interest meeting in December and auditions are held immediately after the Winter Break. Show dates are usually in April. We also invite students to serve on a crew for the play. All rehearsals are held after school. This production requires a major time commitment.
- Theatre Expo Workshop - An annual county-wide theatre workshop held at Twain Middle School. Students select four workshops to participate in ranging from make-up to stage combat taught by area theatre professionals. This year it will be held on Saturday, October 28, from 9:00 AM to 2:00 PM. Cost is $15. See Mrs. Dewenter for registration materials.