Essential Parent Information
- Sign-up for the Hughes MS News You Choose
- Activate your ParentVUE account if you haven't already and update student information via the OVU. Request a ParentVUE Activation Key.
- Review all the Parent Tech Tools available in FCPS.
- Compete the Digital Resource Consent
- Engage in the Hughes MS Community through volunteering, joining the PTA, working with teachers, etc.
When is the first day of school?
August 21, 2023
What are the school hours?
7:30 - 2:15
What is my bus number and what time will it arrive?
Bus routes will be available in “ParentVUE” in August.
How do I use the "Here Comes the Bus" App?
For directions please visit the FCPS HCTB page.
If I am driving my child to/from school, where do I drop off and pickup?
Kiss & Ride is located on Ridge Heights Road. No drop offs or pick-ups are permitted on Seahawk Drive or at the Main Entrance of LHMS.
When will my child receive their FCPSOn laptop?
During their PE class within the first 10 days of school.
What is the cell phone policy?
Per the FCPS Regulation 2601.36P(p.17): Cell phones may be used on campus only before the first bell and after the last bell.
How do I reach my child if they cannot use their phones?
Call the Main Office at (703) 715-3600 and a staff member will be able to relay a message or call them down to speak with you. Your child may also use any school/classroom phone with the permission of a staff member.
When is Open House and Back-to-School Night?
Open House is August 17th from 12:00pm - 2:00pm and Back-to-School Night is September 7th from 6:30 - 8:30pm
What is the process for medication drop off for my child?
For students who will need to take medications during school hours, parents may bring medication and forms to the Hughes Clinic during our Open House from 12:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m. or 4:00pm – 5:30pm.
The physician’s form must be completed, and the medication must be in the original container. Over the counter medications (e.g., Tylenol) must be in the original package. A form must be completed for students to carry an Epi-pen or an inhaler. Students are otherwise never permitted to carry medications with them. Forms are available at https://www.fcps.edu/resources/student-safety-and-wellness/school-health-services. Parents/guardians may also bring medication and forms to the clinic once school starts. Contact the Public Health Nurse ([email protected]) with any questions about FCPS medication policy.
Do we have to pay for school lunches this year?
- Families must apply and be approved to be eligible for free and reduced-price meals for the 2023-2024 school year.
- Students approved for Free and Reduced-Price Meals may qualify for additional benefits such as waived or reduced fees for instruments, uniforms, field trips, FCPS class fees, and Partakes classes.
What is the Locker Policy?
Students may carry backpacks during the day to ensure that they have all their school supplies. For any student who feels they may need a locker, they can request a locker after the first week of school. The locker request form will be available on the Langston Hughes Student Schoology Course.
Please keep in mind that if a student is assigned a locker, the combination may not be shared, and the locker may only be used by the student assigned.
PE lockers are available for all students and if your child is taking band or orchestra, there are lockers for their instruments in the classrooms.
When is Picture Day?
October 5th and 6th
At Home - Technology Readiness Steps for Students and Parents
- Log onto your laptop with your student ID and password.
- Connect your laptop to your internet connection.
- Login to your Google account. In the Chrome browser, go to www.fcpsschools.net and sign in with your fcpsschools.net account.
- Log into Schoology. Make sure you can access your courses.
- If you have any issues with these steps from home, go to the Tech Support for Families page, to submit a ticket for support or call the Parent Technology Help Desk at 833-921-3277 (833-921-FCPS).