Library Frequently Asked Questions
Frequently Asked Questions
When may I visit the Library?
- From 7:10 a.m. until 7:30 to check out or return books or print assignments. Students must be in class by 7:30 a.m.
- During class with an official library pass that is signed by a teacher and describes the reason for your visit.
- With a class--often you'll come to the library with a class for research, and with your English class for regular check-out.
- During lunch with a library pass from the cafeteria. EAT YOUR LUNCH FIRST!!
- After school any day until 2:30. With a pass from an Academic Session instructor during the Academic session.
May I visit the library during Connections? The following rules apply during Connections:
- Students may visit the library during Connections on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Fridays WITH an official library pass describing the reason for the visit that is signed by the ATL teacher AND the teacher assigning the work.
- Students without a correct pass will be sent back to class.
- Computer use during Connections is restricted to school work and assignments.
Do I need a library card?
- No. Students use their student ID numbers (the number used to login to the computer) to check out books.
How many books may I check out?
- Students may check out as many books as they can manage responsibly.
How long may I keep a book?
- Books are checked out for 3 weeks and may be renewed for an additional 3 weeks.
Is it OK to check out books that are on display?
- Absolutely! That is why we put books on display.
I have overdue books, may I check out more books?
- Students with one overdue item may check out one item at a time until the item is returned.
Are there fines for overdue material?
- At this time, there are no fines for overdue material.
Where do I return books?
- You may return books to the "book return" slot in the circulation desk.
May I borrow magazines or newspapers?
- Current issues of magazines and newspapers are to be used in the library and may not be checked out. Earlier issues may be checked out for one week at a time.
Can I volunteer in the library?
- We love to have both student and parent volunteers. Student volunteers are welcome before school, during Connections on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, during lunch, and after school on Wednesdays and Thursdays.
What are valid reasons for using the library computers? Students may use the computers in the library for:
- Searching the Library Online Catalog for FCPS resources.
- Searching the Internet for specific research assignments.
- Searching the FCPS Online Databases.
- Completing assignments using programs.
Are there any Web tools I cannot use?
- Students may use library computers to access personal e-mail accounts only to send and receive school work. Students may not do any sort of instant messaging or social networking on library computers!
May I use the library on my own, without an adult present?
- No, students must have an adult with them to use the library. So if you see one of the "STOP" signs in the entrance, please don't go in.